I wanted to post some of the details of how I captured Week 3’s “Lighting” photo. Also, I wanted to show some of my honorable mentions, that didn’t make the cut.
I had a lot of ideas about how to showcase “lighting.” As you will see, I just kept trying and kept trying. For some reason, I just never really loved the photo, so I just kept trying different things.
First, I tried to capture the filament of a light bulb, but none of the bulbs I had were conducive to such a shot. The ones I have are too opaque to even see the filament, so that was frustrating. I also tried this on one of those twisty, fluorescent light bulbs, but it really didn’t come out right either.
Then, I went outside in the cold to try out a long exposure with the car turn signal. I really wanted that star burst look, which I achieved, but nothing about the photo just stunned me, so I ended up not using it. I did manage to capture an airplane taking off in the background. That’s what that diagonal streak you see over my car is.
Next up, I tried something similar to the previous one, but zoomed in on just the turn signal. Again, nothing stunning.
I moved back inside after that, trying something by candle light. I thought, if captured properly, it would give a nice, soft glow. I tried some different ones of a candle we have, but that thing is just ugly, no way around it. Then, I tried using a little storage bin that we have, casting the candle light upon it gently. It came out ok, but again, nothing that just knocked my socks off.
Finally, I grabbed my daughter’s little stuffed animal and headed to our bedroom. I would bound and determined, after trying and failing earlier with extended exposures, to put up a successful extended exposure shot. I was using a handheld flashlight as a spotlight. It is an LED light, so it gives off a cool, blueish hue. I wanted that, so that it would give the appearance of an ocean. I held it up and off to the left of the camera (for the final two shots), pointing down on the subject. As you can see from some of the shots, too much of the background was showing, I had the Nemo back against the pillows at first, thinking this would look good, but I really didn’t like how the pillows and wall looked in the background. At that time, I had the flashlight sitting atop our chest of drawers at camera right. That’s when I moved it up to the foot of the bed (close to where I was shooting).
Here is the progression, with the final shot at the bottom:
Until next time…